The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. The National Service Schemes voluntary and value based student youth title being launched on 24th September 1969, during Mahatma Gandhi's Birth Centenary Year. It was inaugurated by the then central education minister Dr. V. K. R. V. Rao. Aimed at developing student's personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities and at +2 level working for a campus-community linkage.
Rani Channamma University has established as an independent university in the year 2010 and is situated in the northern region of Karnataka. Now it is celebrating its decennial year. The jurisdiction of the university has 3 districts viz; Belagavi, Vijayapur and Bagalkot. The University has 389 affiliated colleges and among those 276 colleges have been allotted 316 NSS units with 25000 NSS volunteers. The NSS cell is assisted both by Central government and State government. National Service Scheme is the part of Educational expansion and undertakes social and community engagement programmes. In this direction, NSS cell is working under the direction and support of honorable Vice Chancellor, Registrar and other officials of the University.
The symbol for the NSS has been based on the giant Rath Wheel of the world-famous Konark Sun Temple (The Black Pagoda) situated in Odessa, India. The wheel portrays the cycle of creation, preservation and release. It signifies the movement in life across time and space, the symbol thus stands for continuity as well as change and implies the continuous striving of NSS for social change. The eight bars in the wheel represents 24 hours of a day. The red colour indicates that the volunteer is full of young blood that is lively, active, energetic and full of high spirit. The navy blue colour indicates the cosmos of which the NSS is tiny part, ready to contribute its share for the welfare of the mankind. The white colour stands for purity, simplicity and honesty. It stands for continuity as well as change and implies the continuous striving of NSS.
To develop the overall personality and leadership qualities of students through willful community services with new horizons to upgrade their skill and knowledge
A. The Motto of NSS "Not Me But You", reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students’ development & appreciation to other person's point of view and also show consideration towards other living beings. The philosophy of the NSS is a good doctrine in this motto, which underlines on the belief that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole and therefore, the NSS volunteers shall strive for the well-being of the society.
B. The NSS cell is stepping towards promoting students capacity through practices to meet social needs and encouraging them to participate in promoting social harmony and national integration.
Prof. B. S. Navi
M. Com, Ph. D
Dr. P. Nagaraja
Dr. Nandini Devaramani
* Environmental sanitation.
* Construction of approach roads, village streets and drains, Gokattas, latrines, soakage pits, school buildings, balavadies, community halls, houses and huts for the poor etc. (without any expenditure from NSS funds)
* Afforestation, tree planting and their protection.
* Soft conservation and desilting of tanks and canals.
* Eradication of weeds like parthenium, water hyacynth, euphatorium etc.
* Preservation of ancient monuments, scientific clearance and excavation.
* Assistance to and work with local authorities in the relief and rescue work at the time of famine, flood and other natural calamities.
* Any other development project sponsored by the local authorities of Government.
* Popularising Gobar Gas plants and ASTRA (Applied Science and Technology for Rural Area) Ovens.
* Socio-economic survey and identification and arrangements to assist the aged, disabled and handicapped. Surveying school dropouts, illiterates may be given importance.
* Creation of consciousness among the community and the campers on literacy, afforestation, preservation of monuments, immunization and primary health programmes, the need for planned families etc.
* Organisation of Youth Clubs, Mahila Mandals, Rural and Indigenous Sports and Games.
* First Aid Training, Women and Child Care Programmes.
* Preservation of food and nutritional programme
* Free medical checkup Camps and distribution of medicines in association with service organisations
With the help of Government, Zilla Panchanyat, Taluka Panchayat, Gram Panchayat and Non-Governmental Organisations, NSS undertakes developmental activities.
These are regular NSS activities, special camping programmes and others
(A) Regular NSS Activity: Under this, students undertake various programmes in the adopted villages, college/school campuses and urban slums during weekends or after college hours. Every volunteer should serve 120 hours in a year and fulfill the requirement of 240 hours in a period of 2 years. The volunteer should work 4 hours in a week which includes the camps at adopted villages.
(B) Special Camping Programme: Under this, camps of seven days duration are organised in adopted villages or urban slums during vacations with some specific projects by involving local communities. 50% NSS volunteers are expected to participate in these camps.
(C) Along with above major Programmes National, State, District level leadership, National Integration Camps and Training programmes were organised.
of Programmes and Webinars
Name of the Events
to Flood Affected Areas in North Karnataka
Channamma University, Belagavi
Masks, Hand Sanitizers & Hand Gloves to Corona Warriors
Cancer Awareness Programme
NSS Cell Bangalore & Yenepoya University
India Race for Strong Body and Health
of National Constitutional Day
& Lingaraj College Belagavi
NSS Cell Bangalore
Anti Drugs Day
Rayanna First Grade Constituent College Belagavi
Management is Possible with Positive Thinking
& NIMHNS Bangalore
of NSS Programme Officers in Building the Nation
Cell Bangalore, & MHRD
Conference at Chicago “The Swami Vivekananda Contribution to the World”
NSS Cell Bangalore & Swami Vivekananda Arts And Commerce College
Yuva Kendra Belagavi & Sadbhavana Bhagini Mahila Mandal, Belagavi
Yoga at Home without forgetting
Yuva Kendra Belagavi & Ayush Dept. Belagavi
International Level Yoga Training Programme
RLS College Belagavi
Fungus Awareness Program
Arts College, Bagalkot
of Covid-19: Challenges and Way Forward
Arts, Commerce and BCA (Darbar) College, Vijayapur
and Vaccination Campaign on Covid-19 Virus
First Grade College, Kalloli
Programme on Corona
How do I
became Immune to Covid-19
& Responsibilities of Citizens
NSS Cell Bangalore & Darbar College Vijayapur
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME:
The broad objectives of the National Service Scheme are…
* Understand the community in which they work;
* Understand themselves in relation to their community;
* Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process;
* Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility;
* Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems;
* Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities;
* Gain skills in mobilizing community participation;
* Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude;
* Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
* Practice national integration and social harmony.
Benefits of NSS
A. For Volunteers:
i. NSS certificate to the eligible volunteers
ii. Reservation in the PG admissions
iii. Certificate and cash prize for the special achievements in the University, State and Central level.
iv. Participation in International youth exchange Programme
v. Opportunity of taking part in youth festivals, National Integration Camps, University level camps, District Leadership camps, Adventure camps and others.
vi. Participation in personality development programmes.
B. For Programme Officers:
i. Opportunity to create youth centers in the college level.
ii. Recording the three years NSS service in the service books.
iii. Consideration in the carrier advancement.
iv. Awards at the University, State and Central levels.
C. For Colleges:
i. Development of discipline among the colleges.
ii. Inculcating the cleanliness thoughts and ideas.
iii. Good accreditation by the NAAC because of community services.
iv. Creation of integrated environment.
v. Awards and recognitions are the achievements of college.
National service scheme cell has involved in developing students career with the help of University, State government, Central Government and community.
Rani Channamma University, Belagavi
Vidyasangama, N. H-04, Belagavi-591156
Mobil No: 0831-2565210
E-mail- email@example.com /