RED CROSS SOCIETY:
The Red Cross Society is a worldwide, well known, universally accepted, admired and internationally identified humanitarian service organisation. It is the biggest, independent non-religious, non-political, non-sectarian and voluntary relief organisation treating people equally all over the world without any discrimination as to their nationality race and religion beliefs. It was established in 1863 in Geneva, Switzerland. The Father of Red Cross movement is “Jean Henry Dunant”, who was a successful businessman. While going on a business mission, Dunant came on 24th June 1859 to Castiglione. It was on the same day, the battle of Solferino was fought nearby between French and Austrian armies. Dunant was horrified and moved by the sight and plight of the wounded soldiers. On witnessing the pathetic scene he forgot his business and started relief operations to all the wounded soldiers without any discrimination taking the help from people in villages nearby. For his great service to the society, he was awarded with Noble Prize for Peace in 1901.
The Seven ‘Fundamental Principles’ of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement are:
- Voluntary Service
The Indian Red Cross Society aims to inspire, encourage and initiate at all times, all forms of humanitarian activities so that human suffering can be minimized, alleviated and even prevented, thus contribute to creating a more congenial climate for peace.
PURPOSE OF YOUTH RED CROSS SOCIETY:
The Indian Red Cross Society, through its ‘Junior’ and ‘Youth’ programmes, plays a significant role in channelling and guiding the young energy in the cause of humanitarian action. The Youth Red Cross Society (YRC) is the most important constituent of its parent organization Indian Red Cross Society.
The main purpose of the YRC movement is based on the principles of protection of health and life, service to the sick and suffering, promotion of national and international friendship to develop the mental and moral capacities of youth.
The hope of every country in the world is its youths. We, in our university, train our students to be caring citizens so that they have an opportunity to help the needy.
OBJECTIVES OF THE YOUTH RED CROSS SOCIETY:
- Informing the youth members and others the role and the responsibilities of the Red Cross and encourage them to contribute
- An awareness on the care of their own health and that of others
- The understanding and acceptance of civic responsibilities and acting accordingly with humanitarian concern, to fulfill the same
- To enable the growth and development of a spirit of service and sense of duty with dedication and devotion in the minds of youth
- To foster better friendly relationship with all without any discrimination
ACTIVITIES IN THE UNIVERSITY:
Indian Youth Red Cross Society, in Rani Channamma University, Belagavi, was established in the academic year 2010-11, as per the order of the Government of Karnataka. From the time of inception it started organizing various programmes like:
- Organizing Blood Donation Camps
- Organizing a talent hunt programme to students and make them to participate in State Level Quiz competitions
- Organizing Special Orientation Programmes, Meetings, Camps and etc. for YRC Volunteers as well as to Programme Officers and Principals of the degree colleges affiliated to the university.
- Awareness rally on road safety, tree plantation, health and hygiene, discipline, cleanliness, etc.
The University YRC observes the following commemorative days with lectures, health camps & blood donation camp:
- World Health Day
- World Red Cross Day
- World Blood Donation Day
- Geneva Convention Day
- World AIDS day
- International Women's Day
The University Youth Red Cross Society has collaborations with the following:
- Indian Red Cross Society, Karnataka State Branch, Bengaluru.
- Indian Red Cross Society, District Branch, Belagavi.
- Government Departments
- Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
|DR. SUMANTH S. HIREMATH
Indian Youth Red Cross Society
Mr. Sachindra G. R.
Smt. Devata D. Gasti
ONE DAY ORIENTATION PROGRAMME
One Day Orientation Programme for Programme Officers Youth Red Cross of RCU’s affiliated colleges of Belagavi district and Celebration of International Geneva Convention Day. The event jointly organised by the Indian Red Cross Society, District Branch, Belagavi, in association with Maratha Mandal’s Degree College, Belagavi.
PROF. SIDDU P. ALGUR
Guest of Honour & Resource Person
DR. H.S. SURESH
State Advisory Member, IRCS State Branch, Bengaluru
DR. A. B. PAWAR
Principal, M.M. Degree College, Belagavi.
DR. D. N. MISALE
Advisory Member, YRC, RCUB & Joint Secretary, IRCS, Belagavi
SHRI. ASHOK BADAMI
Executive Committee Member, IRCS, Belagavi